COVID-19 info for the 2020-2021 school year
Like all of our friends in the education community, this school year is unlike any we’ve seen before. The Youth BIOlab remains committed to supporting student and teacher engagement with health science as we adapt to the challenges of the pandemic.
After reading divisional plans and consulting with the Research Centre, and with teachers, we are charting a course that can support your learning goals for students, while meeting public health guidelines.
For recent updates and current conditions in our province, please visit: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/index.html
What you can expect to see from the Youth BIOlab this year
Online BIOlab experiences
Healthy Curiosity – YouTube video series (Available to all students and teachers)
- Prerecorded video on a range of topics across grade levels. Brain, heart, and lung dissections, microscopes, cells, diabetes and blood sugar, nutrients, germs, masks, DNA and more to come!
- Available with associated activities, worksheets etc…
Live Stream Schedule (Available to all students and teachers)
- Weekly live-streamed video from the Youth BIOlab, streamed on YouTube Live and archived on our YouTube channel
- Aimed at supporting Grade 11 and 12 at-home learning days with
- Some content you can look forward to:
- Guided reading
- Q&A sessions with REAL research centre scientists
- Lab technique and technology demonstrations, meet-a-scientist sessions
- With follow-along question and answer sheets for student note-taking.
Interactive video (Limited to partner school divisions)
- Single class two-way video chat through your preferred platform. (MS Teams, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
- Live “virtual field trip” to include meet-a-scientist chats, dissections, lab demonstrations and more!
- Multi-day experimental design sessions where possible
- Please see our programming page to find a program that fits the interests of your classroom.
We look forward to navigating this new year with you. Please contact us to book a time for your class!